Tonsilloliths, most commonly known to many as tonsil stones, can prove to be painful, unsightly, and may even cause severe halitosis. These stones normally form on the tonsils and they are brought about by old leukocytes or white blood cells, keratin, bacteria and small food pieces. If you are suffering from this unfortunate occurrence, perhaps you are now wondering how to get rid of tonsil stones. There are actually several natural remedies that might help, a few are more invasive compared to others.
Simple Home Remedies
Generally, invasive surgery is not needed to say goodbye to these nuisances, although this can also be an option. Here are a few techniques on how to get rid of tonsil stones:
- Take a Q-Tip and use it to dislodge a tonsil rock.Although tonsil stones may vary in size and severity, they can cause a lot of trouble especially when it comes to swallowing. As these yellowish or off-white balls are food particles and mucous clumped together, they may be successfully extricated using a clean Q-tip.
- If the size of the stone is small enough so as not to warrant the use of Q-tips, you can take out a medicine dropper and suction it out.
- Consequently, if the proximity of the stone is easy to reach, a toothbrush can also be of great help. By gently scrubbing on the area, you can dislodge cause of the irritation.
- Salt water can do the trick, too. If you have some kind of water pick that you can utilize to shoot some of the solution to the location of the stone, you will be surprised that this old tip can do wonders.
- Chew on a clove of garlic as these herbs have amazing healing properties. Before going to bed, try nibbling on just one clove to rid yourself of these stones. Additionally, garlic is known to be a natural antibiotic and it can help in healing the areas where the stones earlier formed.
- For about half an hour, boil just an ample amount of fenugreek seeds and drink the mixture with warm water. This natural remedy has been proven as a cure for dreaded tonsilloliths.
- For pain relief, sucking on a lollipop can do you good. The suction has been thought to help in loosening and dislodging the stones.
- Chew some gum. This will help you produce an abundance of saliva which can serve as a lubricant in inducing the tonsil stones to loosen.
Aside from these tips on how to get rid of tonsil stones, do not forget to gargle with mouthwash or warm salt water at least two times a day – preferable during mornings and nights. Aside from slowing down the growth rate of the stones, this can also knock the small ones loose.
Although not regarded as harmful, tonsil stones can actually become an annoyance, especially if they persist. They can be damaging to an individual’s self-esteem and social life as they often pave the way for extreme bad breath. Why settle for shame when you have all these natural and effective remedies available?