How to get rid of rats is a question that bothers a lot of homeowners harassed by these rodents. Rats prove as big nuisance wherever they choose to go posing a threat to health if it they get inside the house. They spoil stored food and if you eat contaminated food items, you’ll likely suffer from diseases like typhus and plaque. The answer to this common question will be discussed in this article so keep reading.
Getting Rid of Rats Effectively
Are you worried about rats and you want to get ideas on how to get rid of rats from your house for good? If you have spotted their signs like unpleasant urine smell or droppings, it is your cue look for their hiding places and start taking action to eradicate them from your house. Here are a few things you can do:
- Remove their food sources and shelter. This is the first step you should take on how to get rid of rats for good. Stop feeding them and letting them hide safely. While they prefer specific food items, they eat just about anything when they get hungry. Look for possible things that they might eat and places they possibly would hide and remove them. Dispose compost files, dog or cat food, waste and bird or squirrel feeders that are among the favorites of rodents. Inside the house, make sure that you clean up after eating, tightly seal containers and use tight fitting leads on your garbage cans.
- Seal their entry points. Another good way on how to get rid of rats is blocking their access to the house by sealing openings with cault and steel screen mesh. You can easily find this at your local hardware store with steel wool to fill the openings on your exterior walls. Also find time to trim tree branches and shrubs so that they don’t get used by rats to gain entry to the upper levels of your home. Remember that rats can jump and climb so you should seal off the openings near the attic.
- Make traps for them. Bait your traps with food that doesn’t spoil right away then place them against the baseboards in the pathways of rats. Don’t set the traps just yet but bait them until the rodents are feeding off them comfortably. If one is killed, the other rats might hesitate to feed off the traps or not even take the bait at all. A number of days after you feed the rodents, set all the traps you made on the same night then wait. The trick here is to not stop trapping them for around one week so that your efforts on how to get rid of rats would help you take care of the problem.
- Set live traps for rats. One of the most humane ways to get rid of rats, you can try this option too if none of the other methods of removing them for good works. Once you catch them, it’s your choice whether to kill them or not. Killing them can be done by submerging them in a bucket filled with water. You can let them go outside too if you like. Just make sure that your house is already rat-proofed so that they can no longer find their way inside again.
- Poison them. There are a lot of people who choose this method to get rid of rats because they find this as a quick solution to their problem. However, you have to be extra careful when using poison because they are dangerous for pets and small kids. Since poison would not immediately kill the rodents giving them some time to look for a hiding place, just follow their smell and you’ll easily find the rotting carcass.
- Plant herbs around the house. This is a longer method on getting rid of rats but this is one of the most effective options. Herbs like mint and wormwood work as repellents that their odor may be strong enough the rats can’t take their smell and just run away from your home. Rub peppermint oil or leaves in your drawers and cabinets to help solve your problem with rats.
- Adopt natural predators. It’s true that not all cats and dogs are able to hunt rats effectively but most of them have the tendency to go after different objects which can help in preventing rats from taking residence in your home. If you have pets, see to it that their food are placed in tightly sealed containers so rats don’t feed on them. In case you’re not a pet person, what you can do is place an owl box close in your house to get the attention of natural predators and help get rid of rats.
Importance of Keeping the House Clean
You can try many different methods on how to get rid of rats but there’s no substitute for cleanlines when it comes to rodents. If you don’t want to live together with rats, always put away their possible food sources and seal their entry points. This will not just help with your problem on rats but also with your misery because of other pests like cockroaches. Also, always keep your floors, cabinets, carpets, countertops, furniture and clothing clean.
Preventing Rats from Getting Into Your Home
Well, the best way to stop the spread of annoying rats is to prevent them from harassing you. Doing a little rat-proofing helps save you from a lot of work to do in the future. Ideally, these measures in controlling rats well work effectively if they are assiduously employed. Just be consistent with your efforts and you will surely enjoy a rat-free home in the future.
If you follow the methods that are mentioned above to get rid of rats but the same problem comes up and the rats flourish instead, you may want to say goodbye to the home remedies and give the professionals a call for help. A good exterminator can help rat-proof your house, take care of the living rats inside your home, sanize the area and dispose the rodents properly.