Many parents are looking for ideas on how to get rid of head lice and if you’re one of them, keep reading because this article will provide you with information about different home remedies for this common problem.
Head lice are among the most common problems that affect millions of kids in the whole world today. They are highly contagious and they easily spread from one head to another. While they are not known to carry any disease, they can be very irritating to the kid that is affected as they run around the scalp causing severe itching which is very irritating. If you need information on how to get rid of head lice, know that it doesnt only involve treating those on the head but also the items that have contact with a person’s infected head.
Prior to heading to a nearby pharmacy, start treating lice on your kid’s head first with remedies that don’t require you to leave the house. Here we go with some of them:
- Comb the hair. Once you discover that your son or daughter has lice, one of the best ways to get rid of the wingless parasites is by combing the hair. Use fine-toothed combs, those that are designed specifically for the purpose of removing lice that are likely present in your drawer. Slowly comb the hair so that the lice are trapped into the teeth of the comb. You may also use your nails to smash their eggs and kill the bigger lice. Clean the comb and repeat the same process so that you’re able to cover all the sections of the hair of your kid.
- Apply mayonnaise to the hair. Another tip on how to get rid of head lice is by applying mayonnaise on the hair including the scalp. Cover head with a shower cap and leave the mayonnaise for four hours. This will make sure that the lice will die and smother. After four hours, wash hair with vinegar for total removal and repeat the same process for a week so that all the wingless parasites will die.
- Lime juice and garlic paste. Take one teaspoon each and mix well before applying to the scalp. Allow the mixture on hair for half an hour and then thoroughly wash it with clean water. Repeat this everyday for 7-10 days or until the lice completely disappear.
How to Completely Get Rid of Head Lice
As already mentioned, it’s also important to clear all the items that have contact with the infected head which are enumerated below:
- Clean all combs. All the combs used by the kid with lice should be submerged in rubbing alcohol for at least an hour so that the lice that have stayed on the teeth of the combs will be killed.
- Wash bed linens thoroughly. The bed linens used by the infected person should be washed in hot water. This tip on how to get rid of head lice applies not only for linens but also for clothes that the kid with head lice have worn.
- Vacuum carpets. You’ll never be sure if their are lice that fell on the carpets in the house so just to avoid spreading of head lice, vacuum them and throw away the vacuum cleaner after using it.
Prevention of Head Lice
More important that learning how to get rid of head lice is prevention. If possible, tell your kid to avoid head to head contact with other children who have lice. Also, do not allow him or her to share hats, caps or jackets with other children whom he or she interacts at school or at the park.