A lot of people are looking for methods of how to get rid of a verruca but do you know what is exactly? A verruca, also known as a plantar wart, is a wart that appears on the foot in either single circular raised growth or in groups. At times, black spots are seen on a verruca and it usually affects a person with a weak immune system. While this is not considered as a threat to one’s health, this can be itchy, painful and embarassing that only a few people ignores a verruca.
What You Can Do About a Verruca
Before attempting any method of how to get rid of a verruca, decide first whether it is really a plantar wart that you are dealing with or something else. Verrucas can be easily confused with calluses or corns that are also thickened patches in the skin that appear because of friction. If you’re unsure, you might want to ask a chiropodist to take a look at it to confirm if it’s really a verruca that you have on your foot.
Some people do nothing about a verruca and just cover it with plaster as it usually disappears within 1-2 years untouched while others fade away in a month or two. However, if the wart is too much for you to bear, you can always try to get rid of it with the following common options:
- Apply salicylic acid treatment on the wart. Do you want to know how to get rid of a verruca with salicylic acid? Most over-the-counter products that are designed for warts contain this ingredient either patches or a liquid form that you can place over your verruca. What salicylic acid does is peel away the infected skin to make way for a new one. All you need to do regularly is soak your foot in warm water for at least 10 minutes then remove the dead skin with a nail file or pumice stone before putting the treatment on the verruca.
- Freeze your verruca with liquid nitrogen. Also called blistering, this method of how to get rid of a verruca involves the use of liquid nitrogen to kill the wart tissue that peels off within a week or two only. There are risks associated with this treatment and one of the permanent ones is damage to the nerves or to the affected skin area.
- Cover the verruca with duct tape. Are you wondering how to get rid of a verruca with a piece of duct tape? Clean the area surrounding the plantar wart with warm water then cover it with the tape. Just leave it on the skin for six days and in case the tape falls off, replace it with a new piece right away. After six days, remove it and you will see that the verruca becomes softer and easier to scrape with a nail file. Repeat tis process for up to 8 weeks and you’ll see a significant decrease in the size of a verruca.
- Put dissolved aspirin on the wart. The common product of how to get rid of a verruca that a lot of people use is aspirin. Just dissolve this tablet in water and apply over the affected skin area. Once done, cover the verruca with a clean cloth or band aid and repeat the procedure every day until it gets totally healed.
- Apply tea tree oil on the damaged skin. If you want to give an herbal treatment as a way on how to get rid of a verruca, tea tree oil is one of the best options. Apply this two times a day on the wart on its own or for best results, mix it with garlic juice.
What You Should Not Do With a Verruca
No matter how tempting it is to get a knife and remove a verruca with it, stop yourself from doing so or your skin will just be damaged or infected. This is just one of the ‘don’ts’ that you need to keep in mind all the time and more of what you should not do while trying to get rid of a verruca are listed below. h
- Do not touch it with your bare hands to avoid spreading the virus to the different parts of the body.
- Do not allow the wart to be damp regardless if you’re attempting to treat it or just not doing anything about it.
- Do not go barefoot especially if you’re in public places like swimming pools, locker rooms, shared showers and gyms.
- Do not share socks and shoes to not spread the virus from one person to another.
- Do not use tools like a nail file or pumice stone without disinfecting them.
- Do not go through any surgical procedure if you have diabetes or other circular problems.
What Surgical Procedures are Available?
Aside from following the non-invasive methods of how to get rid of a verruca and taking precautionary measures, you can also undergo surgery in order to cure the skin fast and easy.
- Laser surgery which uses laser beams to burn a verruca.
- Immunotherapy that injects antigen to the plantar wart to stimulate the immune system and make it strong enough to win in the fight against virus.
- Electrodesiccation wherein electric current is used to burn off a verruca. The burned area is then removed surgically with the use of a knife that in medical term is known as a curette.
- Keratolytic therapy which injects salicylic acid into a verruca to make the skin thinner leading to the eventual falling off of the wart.
How a Chiropodist Can Help
If a verruca continues to spread and infect the surrounding skin areas even after taking precautionary measures and trying natural remedies, consult a chiropodist. This medical professional can check and verify if it’s really a plantar wart that you’re dealing with and look for the best options on how to get rid of a verruca. A troublesome wart may be removed by your doctor through immunotherapy, laser therapy or electrodesiccation depending on what he finds as the best treatment.