You may have been asking yourself ‘how do i get rid of ants at home’ because you noticed that the unwanted pests have already turned out to be a nuisance crawling in your kitchen cabinets, cupboards and cracks around the house. How to get rid of them? In this article are natural and cheap home remedies that will help solve your problem.
Ants are among the most common unwanted pests found in many homes—black, red, fire ants and many other species can be seen crawling in the different parts of the house. Knowing the answer on how do I get rid of ants is very important, the key to enjoying a happy summer. Follow the advice listed below to safely prevent ants from taking over your home.
Common Ingredients That Help Get Rid of Ants
In your search for the answers to your question of ‘how do I get rid of ants’, you’ll realize that many of the most effective solutions are ingredients that are already available in your own home. Some of those that will help you deal with ant invasion naturally and cheaply are the following:
- Vinegar. This should be available out of your own kitchen thus, there’s no need to spend more money to get rid of ants. Put a little of this natural ant repellant in a spray bottle and spray this in all the nooks and corners of the house where you frequently see ants. Upon drying of the vinegar, repeat the same spraying process on the ant trails for two days to discourage the unwanted pests from causing nuisance in your house.
- Soap. The ingredients present in a regular soap are known to be harmful to ants. The waxy layer of the exoskeleton of ants are broken down with soap which dehydrates them at the same time. How do I get rid of ants with soap? If you’ve already found their entry points, rub some soap there if not mix soap and water, put the solution in a spray bottle and spray on the ants.
- Borax. A laundry detergent, borax can be mixed with sugar and water to come up with a liquid solution that will be sprayed around the areas where there is ant infestation. This easy method is known very effective so you should give this product a try. When ants carry borax in their nest, it will kill their homes making them move away and go looking for another shelter.
- Chalk. While there’s no specific explaination as to why ants do not cross chalk lines, this answer on how do I get rid of ants should be given a try still. It seems that no one knows the idea behind ants not crossing chalk lines but it’s an effective way of putting an end to long ant trails heading to the different parts of your house. Just get an ordinary white chalk and draw all over the place.
- Diatomaceous Earth. A multi-purpose remedy that helps a lot for those who are asking how do I get rid of ants, you can sprinkle it around the perimeter of the house from the outside and spread some inside the house wherever you find ants crawling around. Diatomaceous earth is not known to instantly kill ants but it’s proven to solve the problem within just a matter of few days. Note that this remedy should not get wet or else this would not work.
- Salt. This ingredient that helps those who want to know how to get rid of ants should be readily available in your kitchen. Spread salt in all the corners of the house and on the nests of ants if you’ve already found them to repel the unwanted pests. You can also mix salt and hot water then spray the mixture on the ants wherever you see them.
- Perfume. Whenever you see ants, just soak cotton balls in a perfume and place them in the entry points of the unwanted pests. The ants are not able to tolerate the strong smell of perfume so they will choose to stay away. How do I get rid of ants with perfume more effectively? Directly spray them on the ants and the pests will surely go away.
- Cucumber. How do I get rid of ants with cucumber? One of the strangest facts about ants is that they don’t like the taste of this vegetable hence putting a few pieces of it in the affected areas should force the ants to abandon the place very quickly.
Preventive Measures to Take
When talking about pest extermination, you should knot only know how do I get rid of ants but also know how to prevent them from taking over your home. In order to avoid ant infestation, you’ll need to take preventive measures and some of them are the following:
- Make sure that your house is kept clean especially the kitchen area because the food sources are very attractive to ants.
- Build a habit of sweeping the floor every after eating as the little mess can invite ants inside your home.
- If you don’t plan on hiding leftovers in the fridge, always cover them.
- Wash dirty dishes after each meal because if you leave them in the sink, chances are ants will be the ones to clean them up.
- Dispose trash every day leaving no chance for ants to come over and cause infestation. The trash cans and bins should also be placed a bit further from the house.
- Keep kitchen counters dry. Allowing moisture to accommodate in countertops can invite ants that always stay near water sources.
If Ants Keep Coming Back
How do I get rid of ants that seem to come back very often even after following the techniques mentioned above? Repeat all of the above as you find necessary. It’s normal for the unwanted pests to come back because ants are hardy creatures that it can be difficult to get rid of them and prevent them from entering your house every again. Frequently apply the methods on how to get rid of ants and you’ll find that the techniques above are easy to implement and very effective. The best part of using the natural remedies is that you don’t need to get out of the house to buy them or spend extra money for them.