It can be difficult to choose just one best way to get rid of dandruff because there are way too many of them available—both home remedies and topical treatments that claim as the right choice for saying goodbye to white, itchy flakes on the head. Dandruff is one of the most common hair problems of men and women with white flakes that are both annoying and embarassing when they show up during the most inappropriate times. Well, after reading this article you can already say goodbye to this hair problem because we’ll discuss here the best options on treating dandruff.
Possible Causes of Dandruff
Before moving on and learning what is the best way to get rid of dandruff, let’s try to understand first what causes it. Dandruff forms when yeast or other fungus grows on the scalp resulting to the shedding of the scalp skin. It can occur because of overproduction of oil on the scalp or result from its dryness. The other known causes of this hair problem are as follows:
- Unhealthy diet
- Infrequent shampooing of the hair
- Irregular or improper brushing of the hair
- Certain diseases like seborrheic dermatitis and eczema
Best Natural Ways to Get Rid of Dandruff
There are a lot of simple ways that can help treat dandruff. Many products can be bought in the market to treat this hair problem but not all of them are proven effective and have shown satisfactory results. Some might suit a specific scalp condition but others might not be the right fit. Well, to make sure that you’re trying the best way to get rid of dandruff that doesnt’ have any side effects, let’s talk about the natural remedies.
- Olive oil. Out of the many different uses of this home remedy, olive oil is widely used in treating dandruff. This is mainly because this common ingredient is an excellent moisturizer and it has natural clarifying properties that with consistent use, can prove as the best way to get rid of dandruff. Massage the scalp with this oil every day and leave overnight for faster results.
- Vinegar. Rich in potassium, vinegar is known to be extremely effective in removing dead scalp skin that leads to the formation of dandruff flakes. After washing your hair, put a few drops of apple cider vinegar into a cup filled with water and use it as your final rinse. Focus on the scalp by gently massaging it so that it vinegar will settle on the skin. The smell might be irksome but don’t worry because it will just fade once your hair dries up completely.
- Aloe Vera. You should have heard that applying aloe vera gel is the best way to get rid of dandruff. Well, there’s no question about this because this plant has antifungal and antibacterial properties that can act on dandruff and make the hair healthy. Apply aloe vera gel on the scalp and gently massage it for a few minutes before washing hair off with warm water. Repeat this everyday and you will notice that your scalp would no longer itch and the white flakes will soon fade away.
- Baby oil. Who haven’t heard of this oil when a lot of women are using this to keep their skin moisturized, soft and supple? Now you can already enjoy baby oil in another way and who knows if this would prove as the best way to get rid of dandruff for you? Apply this on the scalp and gently massage the skin. Leave the baby oil on the scalp overnight wrapping your hair with a clean towel before you go to bed. Wash you hair with an anti-dandruff shampoo brand the next morning then do the same thing during the night for a few weeks and you’ll notice amazing results.
- Baking soda. What this common ingredient does is reduce the overactive fungi on the scalp that is responsible for the showing up of dandruff. If you would repeatedly use this ingredient, this will help restore the production of natural oils in the scalp making the scalp less drier. How to use this best way to get rid of dandruff? Simply wet your hair then rub some baking soda on your scalp. After some minutes, thoroughly rinse you hair with water. With this method, you’ll have to skip shampooing but if it’s not possible, just add some baking soda in your preferred shampoo brand when washing your hair.
- Coconut Oil. When looking for the best way to get rid of dandruff, you’ll surely come across this natural treatment that helps solve the hair problem with its anti-fungal properties. Aside from treating dandruff, coconut oil also moisturizes the scalp and provides immediate relief from itching. To use this home remedy, take some coconut oil then add a few drops of lemon juice on it. Apply the mixture directly on the scalp and massage it for a few minutes. After at least 20 minutes, wash your hair. Follow this home remedy 2-3 times every week for faster results.
Tips to Keep Your Hair Dandruff Free
Aside from searching for the best way to get rid of dandruff, your search should also include the ways that can help you keep a dandruff-free hair. You don’t have to go very far anyway because below are some very helpful tips:
- Do not shampoo your hair every day or your scalp will lose its natural oil. Just apply shampoo three times a week to keep the hair dandruff free.
- Choose high quality hair care products and keep away from those that contain harmful chemicals.
- When you go into the pool, shield your hair from chlorine water by wearing a swimming cap.
- Get enough sleep, eat lots of fruits and vegetables and exercise daily to maintain a healthy body and scalp.
- Try to spend time on things that can make you happy and avoid stress which can lead to the abnormal increase in oil in your scalp that can result to the formation of dandruff.
If Dandruff Still Remains
After trying your chosen best way to get rid of dandruff and the problem still remains, what should you do next? You can try other methods of solving this hair problem but if you want to be on the safe side, just consult a dermatologist to get an expert advice. A specialist will guide you through addressing the problem with certain products and medications that will help you quickly cure dandruff.