While getting rid of skin tags is not a priority for other people because of the fact that they are harmless, there are still those who want to remove them especially if the skin tags are situated in awkward places on the skin. Medically referred to as Acrochorda, skin tags, grow on the skin folds usually in the armpit, groin area, eyelids and the neck part causing discomfort when rubbed against clothes or items like seat belts. Considered as benign, skin tags do not require treatment but many choose to have them removed for cosmetic purposes.
Home Remedies for Skin Tags
If skin tags are greatly affecting the way you look and the way you feel about yourself, do not worry because getting rid of skin tags can be done without spending a lot of money. There are home remedies that help in removing them that you can be assured are safe and effective. Some of them are listed below.
- Oregano oil. The strong antibacterial properties in oregano oil treats skin tags within just two weeks. In order to come up with an effective remedy, mix 2-3 drops of oregano oil and 4-6 drops of coconut oil then apply the mixture on the skin tags every day, preferably ones in the morning and other before going to bed. As the days go by, you would notice that your skin tags would change colors from red, purple and black before they gradually fall off of your skin.
- Tea tree oil. One of the easiest ways of getting rid of skin tags is using this oil. Used in ancient Chinese medicine, the antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties of tea tree oil dries out the dampess within the skin tags. To use this remedy, clean your tags first and soak a cotton ball in a bowl of water. Squeeze the cotton ball and pour drops of the oil on it then rub your skin tags with the cotton. Massage the tags gently. Repeat this at least thrice a day.
- Lemon juice. You’ll never go wrong if you use lemon juice in getting rid of skin tags because its citric composition decomposes the cells in the unsightly tags. All you need to do is grab a lemon, cut it, then get its juice. Dip a cotton ball in a glass with lemon juice then apply it on the skin tags. Allow the citric composition in lemon to settle on the skin until it dries out. Repeat this at least twice a day and you would notice that your tags would come off in just two weeks.
- Apple cider vinegar. The acidic apple cider vinegar is one of the most effective remedies for skin tags as well as other skin conditions like warts and acne. The vinegar destroys the tissues on the skin tags totally so you won’t have to worry about them anymore. How to use this vinegar in getting rid of skin tags? Wash your skin with mild soap and water then allow the skin to dry off. Next, soak cotton ball in the vinegar then squeeze it to get rid of excess vinegar then apply the cotton ball on the skin tags. Repeat this very easy process thrice a day and you’ll see your tags gradually falling off on their own.
Over-the-Counter Products for Skin Tags
Although benign, getting rid of skin tags is still important for many people as they affect the way the look. Fortunately, there are over-the-counter products that can hep remove skin tags and some of the most effective ones are listed here.
- Salicylic Acid. This is a peeling agent that when applied to the skin, would promote the shedding off of the outer layer. Apply salicylic acid directly on skin tags and make sure to follow the instructions indicated in the label of the bottle as the preparations and concentrations may vary.
- Containing herbal ingredients that help in getting rid of skin tags, this product can be used as directed and you would enjoy satisfying results in no time. The main ingredients of dermisil are Ricinus communis, Thuja occidentalis and melaleuca alternifolia.
- Tag Away. Not only does Tag Away help in removing skin tags but also works effectively on moles and warts so if you have any of these skin conditions, you’ll surely get the value for your money. This product safely, effectively and painlessly treat imperfections without harmful chemicals and scars or marks left on the skin.
Other Remedies for Skin Tags
Considering that they are painless, why are a lot of people interested in getting rid of skin tags? Well, if they grow in the face causing you embarassment, they might make you feel inferior. In case none of the abovementioned remedies for skin tags work, don’t worry. You can also deal with them using a few other treatments like the following:
- Freeze them off. This is a popular method of getting rid of skin tags which is also referred to as cryotherapy. The skin tags are removed using liquid nitrogen that causes them to fall off within just a short span of time. The downside of this treatment is that this may leave some skin discoloration which would not look good especially if it’s seen in the face.
- Pull and cut them. Some people cut their skin tags off with scissors but in order to prevent unnecessary health risks, it may be best to let a physician do the job. What a doctor would do is numb the skin tags first then pull them up and cutt them off at the base with the use of a scalpel. Bleeding and scarring may occur but this is overall an effective method of getting rid of skin tags in just a short period of time.
- Tie them off. No longer commonly used by physicians, this method cuts off the circulation in the area where their are tags killing the tissue and causing the falling off of skin tags. This can be done at home by wrapping a small piece of clear fishing line around the base of the skin tags. Tightly tie the line. After a few days, you’ll notice that the skin tags would turn black which you can already twist or pull for them to easily come off.
Skin Tags Removal at a Clinic
If skin tags are ruining your beauty as well as your self-confidence but you don’t want to cause unnecessary health risks by treating them on your own, you can visit your dermatologist or family doctor. If they are situated on your eyelids, an ophthalmologist can help in getting rid of skin tags. Your doctor should be able to check your skin tags and recommend the best treatment to remove them.