There are many different ways on how to get rid of tonsillitis but the natural ones are highly recommended by many people because they are known to be very safe and effective. Are you disturbed by sore throat? Are you having a hard time taking in food because of inflamed tonsils? If you’re suffering from tonsillitis and you’re looking for a way to treat it, you’ve landed in the right page. Keep reading and get ideas on how to treat tonsillitis without resorting to a surgery. There are many different natural treatments that you can try anyway.
What is Tonsillitis?
Before discussing the methods of how to get rid of tonsillitis, let us first understand what it is and why a lot of people are dealing with it every now and then. Tonsils are the glandular, fleshy areas on the left or right sides of the throat that can swell when overwhelmed by bacteria or viruses. Other than swelling, fever, headache, chills, lymph nodes in the neck and patches on the tonsils are also felt by someone with tonsillitis. If the condition is not severe, natural or home treatments can be used to get rid of the problem.
Natural Treatments That You Can Try
Having tonsillitis is very uncomfortable as it makes it difficult for a person to eat anything because of too much pain when swallowing food. If you’ve developed this infection and you’re trying to look for ways on how to get rid of tonsillitis, you can do so with the help of home remedies. Just follow a few of the effective remedies below and set your tonsils free from bacteria quick and easy.
- Salt and Water. Before you even think of buying over-the-counter medications to reduce the symptoms, try treating your tonsils first by gargling a mixture of iodized salt and water. What salt does is neutralize the acids in the throat that are responsible for the burning sensations that you feel in your tonsils.
- Chamomile Tea. If salt and water don’t prove effective as a method of how to get rid of tonsillitis, you can brew one cup of Chamomile tea and add a few drops of pure honey on it. Drink this throught the day for faster relief. What this home ingredient does is fight swelling with its release of inflammatory prostaglandin molecules.
- Lime Solution. Another method of how to get rid of tonsillitis is lime solution which is a mixture of lime juice, honey and warm water. Lime itself has been proven as an effective treatment for tonsillitis because of its acid properties that heal infected cells. To prepare, fill a glass with warm water and squeeze a fresh lime into it. Add 2 teaspoons of pure honey and slowly sip on it.
- Turmeric Tea. If inflamed tonsils are giving you a hard time swallowing food, you don’t have to worry too much about it as long you have turmeric tea in your kitchen. This tea is rich in iron, potassium, fiber as well as vitamin B6 boosting the body’s immune system to help it fight against infections including bacteria and viruses in the tonsils. Drink turmeric tea everyday for 3 days before sleeping and you’ll experience healing in no time at all.
- Gargling with fenugreek can also help you go a long way in treating tonsillitis symptoms. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and other beneficial compounds so if you are looking for an effective method on how to get rid of tonsillitis, boil 2 tablespoons of this seed for a few minutes and strain it. Allow the liquid solution to cool down before gargling with it. You should see the results very quickly with this home remedy.
- Another effective method of how to get rid of tonsillitis is drinking milk that helps treat the infections in the tonsils and this works best if added with turmeric and cayenne pepper powder. Drink this throughout the day and you’ll notice that your throat won’t hurt too much when you swallow something.
Over-the-Counter Treatments You Can Try
Aside from the home remedies mentioned above, there are also over-the-counter products that make effective methods on how to get rid of tonsillitis. Among those that you can buy in your local drugstore are the following:
- For tonsillitis that is caused by virus the brings fever, paracetamol can be taken in order to get relief from pain and from fever.
- There are cases of tonsillitis that are caused by bacteria which should be treated with antibiotics like penicillin. If you’re allergic to this antibiotic, consult your doctor and get an advice on a better alternative.
- Throat spray. For temporary relief from pain in the throat, a spray can be used. There are a number of sprays that you can buy over-the-counter to numb the throat and allow ease of swallowing food.
Tips for Quick Treatment of Tonsillitis
All the mentioned methods of how to get rid of tonsillitis should work if you are consistent with your efforts. Also, some tips and tricks might help you get quick relief from the pain and discomfort so make sure that you take note of the following:
- Increase your intake of water and warm liquid to avoid dehydration and to promote faster healing of your tonsils.
- Avoid eating spicy food and stop smoking so as not to worsen the swelling and not increase the pain in your throat.
- Practice good hygiene by keeping your hands clean all the time. Wash them with soap and water throughout the day.
- Buy lozenges at the local pharmacy and take them to get relief from sore throat.
When Should You Consult Your Doctor?
If the symptoms continue or worsen even if you followed all the natural methods of how to get rid of tonsillitis, do not hesitate to consult your doctor for help. A few tests may be conducted to find out if the symptoms you’re experiencing are caused by a more serious health condition or not. In case not, your doctor should be able to recommend a more effective treatment for tonsillitis that you can try.