Unexpectedly, hiccups occur in both adults and children and can become bothersome. Some people try various remedies on how to get rid of the hiccups. However, you might be confused which among the remedies out there are real and which ones are not. Check out the following short guide to help you figure out ways on how to solve the problem right away.
Know What Is and What Causes A Hiccup
Medically terms as synchronous diaphragmatic flutter, a hiccup is an unexpected contraction of your diaphragm that happens at the same time with the closure of the voice box or the glottis. It blocks the air intake, so it occurs. Hiccups happen when you consume hot food, which causes the irritation of the phrenic never just located near your esophagus. It also happens when you eat too much or too fast. It can also be due to sudden temperature change. For some people, they experience hiccups when they drink fizzy drinks and some do when they eat spicy food. Learn what causes hiccups better and check out ways on how to get rid of the hiccups below.
Get Rid Of It With Your Hands
Hiccups can occur anywhere, especially in public places. During these times, you can just use your hands to get rid of the hiccup by pressing your hand’s palm with the other hand’s thumb. You should do it harder for better results. A great way on how to get rid of the hiccups, it can cause distraction that affects the nervous system fast.
Eliminate It By Holding Your Breath
Another proven remedy against hiccups is to hold your breath, a solution to lessen hiccups faster. You can breathe in and hold your breath for a few seconds. Then, you can start breathing out slowly. If hiccups persist, you can repeat the same process up to four times, and then after every twenty minutes.
Alternative Methods of Getting Rid Of Hiccups
- You can breathe inside a paper bag to eliminate hiccupping.
- You can also try to bringing your knees to your chest, and then hug your knees for a couple of minutes.
- You can try gargling using ice water.
- Another method to work on how to get rid of the hiccups is to compress your chest by leaning forward.
- Slowly sip very cold water.
- You can drop a few of vinegar into your mouth.
- You can also apply gentle pressure on your nose while you are swallowing.
- You can also put some granules of sugar into your mouth to swallow when they melt.
- One of the best ways to do solve the problem is to put a little pressure on your diaphragm by pressing it.
- You can also take in warm water slowly without breathing. Do it if you want to eliminate hiccups fast.