Skunk can also spray on your pets, including your dog. Therefore, you should not only worry about getting rid of skunk odor in house. You should also worry about how to get rid of skunk smell on dog. Once your dog has been sprayed by skunk and it will go inside the house, expect that your house will smell like a skunk! So, prevent that from happening. Know how to get rid of skunk smell on dog before your dog spread that bad skunk odor to your beloved home.
If you have never encountered this kind of problem, then there is a great possibility that you are clueless on what to do. Remember that all dog owners should know about the trick on how to get rid of skunk smell on dog. Fortunately, you have found this article. This will only tackle about how you can get rid of that bad skunk odor on dog.
Ways on How to Get Rid of Skunk Smell on Dog
There are so many ways you can try to get rid of that unwanted skunk odor on your dog. However, this article will only list the most convenient and most effective methods. Here are the steps on how to get rid of skunk smell on dog:
- Right after you discover that your dog has been sprayed by a skunk, immediately get some latex or rubber gloves and old clothes. Look whether your dog has been bitten or scratched. Check your dog’s eyes as well to see if there is redness or discharge. If there is, then it is much more important to get your dog to a veterinarian first before worrying about how to get rid of skunk smell on dog.
- If there is no redness or discharge in your dog’s eyes, then prepare everything for bathing your dog. Remember that it is much easier to remove the skunk odor if you take action immediately. Therefore, time is the essence here. Be sure to wash your dog outside or your house can also smell skunk if you choose to bath it indoor. Remember to put on a small strip of lubricant in your dog’s eye. This will help protect your dog’s eyes from the solution that can irritate your pet’s eyes.
- In an open plastic container, mix a quart of hydrogen peroxide, one to two tablespoon of liquid soap, ¼ cup baking soda and lukewarm water. Mix these ingredients very well. Remember that the mixture will fizz. It is only normal since there is a chemical reaction happening. Be sure not to store the solution. Use it as soon as possible.
- Do not soak your pet to water before bathing. Just start cleaning the affected part immediately. Massage the solution you made into your dog’s coat. You can also use washcloth or sponge so the odor won’t go in direct contact with your hands. Always be careful not to get the solution into the eyes, mouth or ears of the dog. Let the solution sit into your dog’s body for at least five minutes. Do not leave it there for too long to avoid irritation.
- Rinse your dog with the use of lukewarm water. Repeat the steps on how to get rid of skunk smell on dog three to five times until the skunk odor is gone. Once you have achieved the result that you want, you can now dry up your dog.
What Not to Do While During the Process?
There are some tips you have to know about how to get rid of skunk smell on dog. These steps are for the sake of your dog. These will give you a good idea on how to do the process the right way. Here are some of the tips on how to get rid of skunk smell on dog:
- Be sure not to contain the solution in a closed container. Most people think that they should put it in a spray container. Well, it is unlike other solutions, so do not do it! The pressure of the solution could build up and even blow up the container. You do not want that to happen, right?
- Never ever use a higher concentration of hydrogen peroxide. Never ever substitute baking soda with other or similar ingredients. There is a reason why measurements and the specific ingredients are indicated in this article that talk about how to get rid of skunk smell on dog. Remember that if you alter the solution, it can have a very negative effect to your dog.
- Be sure to use fresh hydrogen peroxide. Keep in mind that hydrogen peroxide becomes less concentrated over time. This just means that if you use hydrogen peroxide that isn’t fresh, then there is a big possibility that it won’t be as effective as it should be.
- Keep in your mind that the solution that you made can also be used in getting rid of that bad skunk smell in your fabric or house as well. So, if your house or any fabric has also been sprayed, you can just easily use this solution for that purpose.
- Avoid skunks at your home by not attracting them. This means you should not leave food outside. This means there should also be no bird seeds or fallen fruits from the tree in your backyard. Once there is no food, there is no reason for skunks to go to your house. Your dog will be safe from its attack as well.
Now that you know how to effectively get rid of skunk odor on your door, you should make it sure to have those materials needed in your house. You can store those ingredients just in case for an emergency. However, be sure to change your hydrogen peroxide every now and then. Remember that we need fresh hydrogen peroxide, right? We do not want to ruin the effectiveness of the solution by using stock, old or even expired hydrogen peroxide.