If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to get rid of old stretch marks, you are definitely not alone! Men and women alike are prone to stretch marks but it’s the women who usually deal with them more. Unsightly marks appear on the breasts, upper arms, thighs, upper back and stomach that typically ocur because the skin fails to rebound after its rapid expansion. While there is now way to completely make the pink, reddish and purplish stretch marks disappear forever, there are ways to make them less noticeable which you’ll get to know more about in this article.
Natural Remedies for Old Stretch Marks
It is almost normal for women to develop stretch marks at some point in their lives especially during pregnancy. Yes, they really look ugly but they’re just natural and they don’t pose any health risk but it seems that no one likes to have stretch marks forever. If you want to learn how to get rid of old stretch marks with natural methods, here are a few undoubtedly effective remedies:
- Sugar. This sweet home remedy acts as a natural exfoliant that helps get rid of ugly marks. Just take one tablespoon of sugar then put it in a bowl. Do you know how to get rid of old stretch marks with sugar? Add a few drops of lemon juice and almond oil on it and stir well. Apply the mixture on the affected area and rub it for around 8-10 minutes. Continue using this natural remedy for 4 weeks or until such time that the stretch marks become less visible already.
- Aloe Vera. The benefits of this herb are very popular among those people who are into home remedies. This has collagen that repairs the skin excellently especially if you get the fresh gel from the leaf itself and not just use an over-the-counter product that has aloe vera. Apply the fresh gel on the affected area and leave it there for two hours before washing off with normal water.
- Lemon Juice. Do you know that lemon juice is one of the most commonly used home treatments for various skin problems? The acid that is present in lemon is very helpful in reducing skin injuries, scars, stretch marks and acne. Now you may be wondering how to get rid of old stretch marks with this home remedy. Simply take out juice from lemons and massage it directly on the affected areas. Massage them gently for around 10 minutes following a circular motion. Once done, clean the areas with stretch marks using warm water.
- Potato Juice. This is one of the cheapest options of how to get rid of old stretch marks and is among the fastest acting remedies. Since potato has the capability of stimulating collagen, it can restore the skin cells effectively thus making stretch marks fade away. Get one medium-sized potato and cut it into thick slices then rub it directly over the ugly marks. Make sure that all its juice is applied all over the marks and leave it on the affected area for around 5-10 minutes. Clean it with lukewarm water.
- Castor Oil. Considered as an effective home remedy for skin problems like pimples, fine lines, wrinkles, dark spots and moles, this oil is actually a preferred choice of many women for stretch marks. Just apply the oil directly on the ugly marks and massage it gently for around 15 minutes. Wrap the affected area with a clean cloth after massaging then get a hot water bottle to apply some heat on it. Repeat this same procedure everyday for 4 weeks and you’ll already notice the results.
Medical Procedures for Stretch Marks
What if the natural methods of how to get rid of old stretch marks don’t show any positive result? Don’t get disheartened if you find that there’s not that much difference on how your stretch marks look after you’ve tried the natural remedies because there are medical procedures that you can consider too. Among those are the following:
- Microdermabrasion. In this method of getting rid of old stretch marks, a mechanical medium for exfoliation is used to buff away the outermost layer of the skin to help lessen the visibility of ugly marks. This mild, affordable and effective way of saying goodbye to very ugly stretch marks is preferred by many people so if you’re interested in this option, talk to your dermatologist and get advice if this makes a good treatment for your skin.
- Laser surgery. Another way of how to get rid of old stretch marks, this is a quick, temporary solution for your unsightly problem. The laser light acts on the skin and removes dead tissues to lessen the visibility of stretch marks. If this procedure is something that you think would greatly benefit you, be prepared to pay quite a huge amount of money for laser surgery because this is very expensive.
- Chemical peel. With this procedure, a chemical solution is applied to the affected area and allowed to settle in. Over the course of the next two weeks, depending on how deep the chemical solution has penetrated on the skin, the dead skin peels off making the stretch marks fade away.
Knowing of the methods on how to get rid of old stretch marks might not be enough to get the job done. You might also need some tips and tricks on how to further reduce the visibility of the ugly marks on your skin. Here we go with some of them:
- Eat more food that are rich in Vitamin C, zinc and protein.
- To lessen the visibility of stretch marks, make sure to eat more of green salad, fish, nuts and fruits.
- Avoid using stretch mark creams if you’re pregnant because they might have chemicals that are not safe for you and your baby.
- Do not scratch the affected area or the problem would get worse.
- Maintain the moisture of your skin and detoxify your body by drinking plenty of water.
- Ask your dermatologist for expert advice if you don’t trust yourself in making the right choice of the best method of how to get rid of old stretch marks.
The natural methods of how to get rid of old stretch marks are highly recommended because they are known to be safe and effective that you can never go wrong with them. While there isn’t a sure-fire way of getting rid of those ugly marks, you shouldn’t give up on trying to at least reduce their visibility. Just make sure to follow through your preferred method of getting rid of stretch mark for days or weeks and you’ll find impressive results. That’s for sure.