Are you looking for ideas on how to get rid of gingivitis because your gums are just too painful and you can no longer smile with confidence because of it? Gingivitis is a common gum disease that causes inflammation or swelling and bleeding. It is brought about by bacterial activity on plaque and accumulated tartar in the space between the teeth and the gums that if not treated right away, can lead to major mouth problems. The treatment methods that you’ll learn in this article are easy and they don’t require the use of special equipment.
Symptoms of Gingivitis
If the gums are healthy, their color should be pink and they must be firm too. The first symptom of gingivitis is a change in the color of the gums from pink to red and the second is their tenderness when touched. The gums also bleed when flossing or brushing the teeth and the worse symptom is bad breath. The process of curing this gum disease is a combination of home and professional dental care procedures that are discussed in detail below.
- Visit your dentist for help. As already mentioned above, gingivitis is caused by plaque and tartar so you have to clean them off. Visit your dentist for help so that the tartar that is accumulated on your gums and teeth are removed and while this is quite a difficult experience for anyone to go through, you definitely need this. The process is by the called scaling in medical terms and this is the first step that you should take on how to get rid of gingivitis.
- Brush your teeth. The answer to the question on how to get rid of gingivitis is pretty easy. After cleaning off tartar that is accumulated in your teeth, your next step is to maintain oral hygiene at home and this can achieved by brushing your teeth regularly. Do you remember how you’re forced by your parents to brush your teeth everyday? If you’re able to manage brushing after every meal then there’s no need to worry about suffering from other oral diseases.
- Use a floss to clean your teeth. Don’t get fooled by toothbrush advertisements that you see on TV claiming that the brushes of a certain brand are able to thoroughly clean the gaps between your teeth. Find time to floss your teeth. This will ensure that all the particles of food you take in that are stuck in the gaps of the teeth are removed.
Dietary and Lifestyle Changes
Good oral hygiene is sometimes not enough as your only method on how to get rid of gingivitis as diet and healthy lifestyle are also equally important. Some of those that you should do are the following:
- Eat more of fibrous fruits like pears, carrots and apples as they help a lot in stimulating the circulation of blood and in strengthening the gums.
- Take vitamin C supplements to stop the bleeding of your gums.
- Cut down on eating and drinking sugary food so you won’t need scraping to get rid of bacteria in your gums.
- Stop smoking especially if your gums are inflamed.
Is Gingivitis Curable?
The good news for those who are suffering from this gum disease is that this is curable and the steps and tips on how to get rid of gingivitis should help you get through the pain and maintain the health of your gums. Regular checkup, brushing and flossing are the things that you should keep in mind to maintain the best oral hygiene. Now if you do all these things regularly, you should be able to smile with confidence moving forward!