Dark lips are nuisance for those people with light and fair complexions and while it’s not considered as a major medical issue, many are still looking for methods on how to get rid of dark lips. The darkening itself may be an indicative of bad habits that as much as possible, those who are guilty want not to show. Smoking, heavy sun exposure, dehydration, excess tea and coffee consumption and regular use of dark lipstick are among the factors that contribute to the blackening or darkening of the lips. What’s great news for those with dark lips though, is that removing the unwanted coating in the lips can be safely accomplished without needing medical procedures.
Ways to Lighten Lip Color
In order to achieve maximum results in the efforts you exert on how to get rid of dark lips, you’ll have to create a routine out of the methods that will be enumerated here. Doing this just one time will not help you in any way so keep these instructions in mind all the time.
- Drink plenty of water. You probably heard of this advise on how to get rid of dark lips many times already but you’ll get the same advice right now. Water helps in flushing out toxins in the body which may have caused the darkening fo your lips. Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Use lip balm. In order to avoid dark patches on the lips that are associated with too much exposure to the sun, it’s highly advised to use a lip balm that has sun protective factor. Put a lip balm whenever you need to get out of the house especially during the summer to lessen the darkening of your lips.
- Do not eat hot food. Consuming hot food items is not advised for those who want to get rid of dark spots on the lips. Let the food cool down first before eating as exposure of your lips to high temperatures may exacerbate its color.
- Cut down on tea and coffee. This approach on how to get rid of dark lips goes for those who have the habit of drinking many cups of tea or coffee everday. Once you cut the intake of hot beverages, you’ll definitely notice an improvement on the color of your lips.
- Change your lifestyle. If the main reason why you have dark lips is smoking or chewing tobacco, you’ll have to abstain from those habits the soonest time you can. Not only will doing so help improve the condition of your lips but it will also promote a healthy body that’s free from lung cancer.
- Avoid using dark lipsticks. Since these are known to lead to the darkening of the lips, just wear them on special occasions or just make do with a lip balm every day. If work requires you to wear a lipstick, make sure that you remove it at night before going to bed.
If All Else Fails
In case the methods you use on how to get rid of dark lips fail, don’t improve or just make the situation worse, visit your doctor so that you’ll be provided with immediate medical attention. The doctor may run certain test to rule out any possibility of a serious health problem that might be causing the discoloration of your lips.