Bloating commonly occurs when food or water is not properly digested or absorbed. Most of the time is there is liquid or gas build up. The causes of bloating are numerous, but most commonly due to excessive eating or an unhealthy lifestyle. The following are quick fixes on how to get rid of bloating.
- Consume diuretics – parsley is a good example of a diuretic. These are food that will trigger your body to pass water quickly. This will help you eliminate excess fluid from your body.
- Brisk Walking – This type of walking is rapid enough to get the food and gas moving along in the digestive track, but gentle enough to prevent upset of the stomach. It also has the benefit of sweating that consequently releases excess fluids from the body.
- Eat yogurt – consumption of any probiotic rich food is very advisable as it will aid in the digestion of the excess food.
- Gentle pressure applied on the stomach – Measure about four finger-widths above your navel. Then, from that spot apply a gentle circular pressure. This will help ease tension in the stomach and expel excess gas.
- Simethicone – Any over-the-counter medication that contains Simethicone has anti-foaming properties that can reduce and remove the excess gas in the stomach.
Though the treatment for bloating are numerous, preventive measures are always more advisable.
- Stay away from fried fatty foods – These types of foods, well, pretty much any processed and fried food you consume are processed by your stomach with great difficulty and stays there for a longer time. Consequently, this adds up to the volume of food consumed during a full meal therefore causing bloat.
- Chew your food properly – This should be a no brainer, but given our fast paced lifestyle of today we have the tendency to speed things up, even our eating. Rapid eating without the proper chewing of food will contribute to bloating as the food not properly chewed will take longer for the stomach to process versus a well chewed one.
- Drink water regularly – Drink not engulf. Drink at a regular pace with just the right amount. With the right amount of fluids in the body, digestion is regulated properly preventing bloating.
- Avoid getting gas into your stomach – This is one practice that many take for granted. The mere use of straws for drinking can contribute to excessive gas in the stomach as well as eating gum and cigarette smoking before or after a meal.
- Eat small portions often – This measure not only ensures prevention of bloating but will help you absorb all the nutrients needed by the body as the smaller portions can be easily processed by the stomach.
Bloat is a very common ailment that a lot of us just try to endure or worse ignore. It is always important to learn and understand that bloating may just be a warning sign that we are living unhealthy lifestyles and practicing unhealthy habits and a complete lifestyle overhaul is needed otherwise more dreadful disease may arise.