If you want to learn how to get rid of a keloid without going through an expensive and risky surgery, this article will run down the most effective natural treatments. A keloid can be uncomfortable, embarrassing and disfiguring that those who have it are looking for ways to get rid of it overnight. Read here to learn the basic treatments that you can try.
What Is a Keloid?
A patch in the skin, this is a tough heaped-up scar that abruptly rises above the rest of the skin appearing in either pink or puple color. Usually, a keloid has a smooth, irregularly-shaped scar that doesn’t seem to stop growing but can always be treated by several home remedies. Doctors do not understand exactly how it is formed in the skin but they say that cellular signal changes can be related to the formation of a keloid but this has not been scientifically characterized yet.
Home Remedies for Keloid Treatment
Before trying out home remedies on how to get rid of a keloid, know that this is something that has the capability to stay around for quite a long time so you need to extend your patience and religiously follow your chosen treatment. Now, here are the most effective home remedies to remove keloids from your skin for good:
- Aloe Vera Gel. This gel contains curative properties that make aloe vera an effective treatment for cuts and burns as well as other skin conditions like keloids. Apply this directly on the keloid once in the morning and another before going to bed every day and you’ll notice that your keloid would no longer appear very visible after a few weeks of using alove vera gel. Aside from making a keloid less visible, this also prevents the formation of a new one in the part where the previous one developed.
- Lemon Juice. Another method of how to get rid of a keloid is applying fresh lemon juice on the affected skin area. Lemon is an effective treatment for scars that erases the topmost layer of the skin making them appear lighter. Since this works perfectly in removing scars, lemon should also do the job right as far as getting rid of a keloid is concerned. Rub lemon on the keloid every day for a few weeks and you’ll be amazed with the results.
- Tea Tree Oil. Considered by many people as one of the best option on how to get rid of a keloid, tea tree oil is a magical cure that also treats different skin diseases. It has antiseptic properties that removes the keloid by getting rid of its root so that it would not grow ever again. Rub this oil on the keloid twice a day for two weeks or until you’re able to make the scar disappear forever.
- Cocoa butter. You can also use cocoa butter and be able to get rid of a keloid within just a few days or weeks. Apply it on the affected skin area before going to bed and wash it off with clean water the next morning. Allowing the cocoa butter to settle on the skin overnight will make it work faster and show positive results quicker than other treatments. If you don’t have pure cocoa butter at home, you can make do with an over-the-counter facial cream which has it as one of the main ingredients.
- Baking Soda. You will never go wrong with baking soda used on how to get rid of a keloid because this curative agent has long been proven as safe and effective in treating different skin diseases. Make a paste out of mixing water and baking soda then apply it on the keloid. Apply it on the affected part of the skin 4 times a day until you no longer see the keloid.
- Onion Extract. If you’re looking for a natural method of how to get rid of a keloid, you can always try onion extract which is readily available in your kitchen. This ingredient has antimicrobial abilities preventing the appearance of a keloid and treating the existing one. All you need to do is grind an onion to get its juice then dip a cotton ball on it. Apply it directly over the keloid to make it disappear. For best results, do this thrice a day until such time that your keloid is not visible anymore.
- Garlic. The curative properties of this super food knows no bounds so you should trust that this can easily remove a keloid and not only that, garlic can also help keep the body healthy. When it comes to bacterial skin diseases like acne and keloid, garlic is one of those that top the list of remedies that work faster than other home treatments. Crush garlic cloves then apply them directly on the keloid. Let them sit on the skin for at least 10 minutes then wash the affected area with normal water. Do this regularly and you’ll see a significant difference on your skin. Your keloid should already fade a way.
Medical Procedures for Keloid Treatment
If your keloid problem is not severe, your doctor would not advice you to go through a medical procedure but just recommend the natural remedies for you to use. In case what you have on your skin is giving you problems like pain and discomfort, you may be looking at the following options on how to get rid of a keloid:
- Laser Surgery. This method of how to get rid of a keloid is guaranteed to remove the skin problem but the downside of this option is that laser surgery is very expensive.
- Scar Removal Surgery. Another method of how to get rid of a keloid, this one also eliminates scar to make the skin clear, soft and smooth. This is also costly and comes along with some disadvantages like pain, long recovery period and the possibility for the keloid to develop again.
See a Dermatologist for Help With Your Keloid
What should you do next if all the efforts you exert on how to get rid of a keloid fail? The best thing that you can do is see your dermatologist to discuss your options. Your doctor should recommend a treatment the suits you best—could be steroids injection, surgery or another method for removing a keloid.