While some people believe that wearing closed shoes is the only option, some of them have experienced a painful situation. There are too many reasons why people hide their feet, among them are the embarrassment of its shape, nail problems, odor problems or bunions. The bunion or a bump is a condition where the foot becomes painful and swollen due to an injury, shoe structure, or inherited deformity or degeneration of bone structure. Basically, it is a structural deformity of joints and bones between the big toe and the foot.
The common problem of people from wearing open footwear makes even worse with bunions. Of course, the condition may worsen from the ill-fitting shoes, why do victims even bother to wear again? Therefore, it is necessary to know how to get rid of a bunion.
How to Treat Bunions
- Go Barefoot. This is probably the most common ways on how to get rid of a bunion. The cause of your bunion is not necessary. Whether hereditary or acquired, walking barefoot is the best remedy you can do. It does not only prevent, but also heals the bump foot. It strengthens your feet muscles, thus enhances the realignment of your bones to get back in their normal position.
Do not buy new shoes to conform your foot because conforming to shoes makes the condition worse. However, walking barefoot is not absolute as there is an exception to the rule. For those suffering from painful and advanced bunions, they can only walk barefoot in the thick carpets. Otherwise, they should wear thick socks when doing the tasks or walking around the house.
- Check Your shoes. At some point in life, walking barefoot is not practical, especially those who need to go outside either for work or for some activities. The next option would be to wear supportive shoes. This kind of shoes has arches and a good padding. Ask an advice from your doctor if you are in doubt of the best shoe to wear.
Your shoes should come with the right size. Too small shoes can worsen your bunions. The rule of thumb in picking the right shoe would be: the width of the thumb should come or fit between the end of the shoe and your big toe’s tip.
Do not attempt to wear pointy shoes or high heels. Even though they are pretty to see, they are ugly for bunions because they prevent the condition from healing and it can lead to additional pain. Whenever possible, wear a sandal that gives comfort to your feet.
- Avoid Vigorous Physical Activities. The fact that bunion involves a painful and swollen toe, it is not wise to join or practice ballet dancing, soccer games, running and a lot more.
- Do Foot Exercises. As mentioned above, running is not a form of foot exercise. The foot exercise involves halting the progression and slowing the condition. If the progression is too high for recovery, surgery may not be needed. If you don’t know how to get rid of a bunion through exercise, below are the following steps:
- First, consider stretching your big toe by pulling it. This promotes proper alignment.
- Second, do not forget to stretch the unaffected toes also. For ten seconds each, point them straight, then curl them. You should repeat this step several times.
- Third, try flexing your toes by pressing them on a wall or against the floor until they bent back. For ten seconds, hold them, and then release. You should also repeat this step several times.
- Hold your toes by practicing their capacity to pick up your towel.
- Wear a Shoe or Pad Inserts. This is probably the best method on how to get rid of a bunion during the first phase. Bunion shoe or pad inserts alleviate pain and also disciplines your toe into the proper direction. If you are wearing shoes, it controls the movement of your toe as not to worsen the condition. You can buy these materials at the drug or pharmacy store.
- Try taping your Toes to Get Used in Normal Alignment. Among the ways on how to get rid of a bunion, this is the most difficult method to follow. It takes a lot of time to get used to a particular activity. Most of the time, it becomes a habit. If you allow your toe to be disciplined for two to three weeks, your toes may get used to a normal position.
- Alleviate the Pain. This is the most applicable remedy among the ways on how to get rid of a bunion. However, it does not cure the condition, because it only relieves the pain. Basically, exercising your toes is good and commendable, but the painful experience you had as you go along the process should be addressed. To ease the sore feet, follow these methods:
- Use warm water to soak your feet for twenty minutes. Make sure to prepare a separate bowl for this activity. This works by temporarily alleviating the pain and soothing your joints.
- Make use of an ice pack as they are a good choice for bad flare-ups. Using your thin towel, fill the plastic bag with ices.
- Take medications like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve the pain.
Treating Severe Bunions
- Check With Your Physician. Bunions come with different extent of pain. If you are caught in a severe pain, make sure to consult your physician. You can rid the pain, but you don’t know how to get rid of a bunion for good.
- Take Prescribed Medications. Medications are unavailable without a doctor’s prescription. Most of the time, the doctors prescribe a pain medication with cautions. Make sure to follow the doctor’s order to prevent the condition from getting worse.
If the symptoms do not ease, a surgery may be advised. The objectives of the surgery are to relieve the pain and straighten the joint. It is not done to improve the appearance of your toes. It is usually an outpatient surgery, but a local or a general anesthesia may be prescribed depending on your pain tolerance.
The remedies above are effective on how to get rid of a bunion. You must take good care of your feet if you do not want to experience deformities. Your feet are one of the most useful and helpful parts of your body, give proper attention to them!