Many people are asking the same ‘how do you get rid of fleas’ question and if you’re one of them, you have just landed on the right page. Read this article for a guide on how you can totally eliminate fleas from your pets and your entire house.
For some homeowners, just thinking about fleas make them feel itchy already. Practically, the worst hindrance for pet lovers is the fact that their pets can bring in fleas but do you know that humans can also carry them inside the house? Fleas can jump on you when you work in the yard enjoying a free ride to your home multiplying there like crazy. Within a week only, you can have a full blown flea infestation and you’d only discover it when it’s too late. Contine reading for some how do you get rid of fleas suggestions to help address small and big infestations.
Use Flea Combs for Fleas Removal
There are many flea combs ae available in the market that should help you get rid of the annoying insects in the house. They’re pretty easy to use but prepare yourself for the disposal of the live fleas that will likely be trapped in the combs’ teeth. Here are the instructions that you should follow:
- Begin brushing your pets from their head, close to the ears area. Check under the arms and near the tails too.
- Run the comb from the front to back through the pets’ fur.
- Once you see fleas trapped in a comb, dip the comb into a bowl with liquid dish soap and water mixture so that the fleas can’t spring loose.
- Leave the comb on the bowl with soapy water for a few minutes.
- You’ll notice later on that the trapped fleas will die.
Get Rid of Fleas Inside the House with Home Remedies
While combing out of fleas from the fur of your pets are proven effective, it isn’t the only answer to the question on how do you get rid of fleas especially if there are also those that already infested the furniture or upholstery, clothes, blankets, carpets and many others. The following home remedies should help you put the flea infestation under control:
- Herbal flea spray. If the answer you have in mind for the question of how do you get rid of fleas is to come up with a bomb that’s loaded with chemicals to kill all of them, you might reconsider once you try using an herbal spray fo those annoying insects. To prepare this spray, you’ll need vinegar, water, lemon juice, witch hazel, a spray bottle and a fresh vacuum bag. Mix all of the liquid ingredients then pour the mixture in the spray bottle. Spray all the furniture, pet bedding, carpets, windows, floors and all the corners of the house that are infested by fleas. Do this same thing everyday for a week or so depending on how worse the infestation in your home is.
- Table salt. How do you get rid of fleas with this common ingredient? If you have flea infestation in the house, you don’t have to call a professional cleaner right away especially if it’s something that you can actually take care of on your own. When salt is used to eliminate fleas, it as a dehydration agent drying out their. Fill your spice bottle with as much salt as you can but leave a small space enough for you to still shake and sprinkle salt from it. Sprinkle table salt in the rugs and carpets making sure that you cover them entirely. Leave them on the carpets for at least 12 hours before vacuuming them thoroughly. Repeat this process several times a week and you’ll notice that the fleas in your house would significantly lessen.
- Rosemary. How do you get rid of fleas with this herb? This will make a great home remedy to use for houses that are not badly infested so if your problem is not that worse, you should wash your pets with water that has rosemary leaves on it. You can also come up with rosemary herbal flea powder by mixing equal amounts of rosemary, rue, fennel, peppermint and wormwood. Grind all the ingredients until you come up with a fine powder to sprinkle in your pets’ bedding, home furniture and carpet.
- Horse apple. This fruit belongs to the family of mulberries that is also known under the names bodark and monkey ball. This has been traditionally used by many people in repelling insects so if you don’t want to spend too much for over-the-counter products or for a professional exterminator, you should try this out. How do you get rid of fleas with this fruit? Cut horse apples in sections and place them in all the nooks and corners of your house. Let them stick around for days or weeks until the fleas diminish. You would know that its about time you replace them with new ones if the color of the horse apples turn from green to brown. Fleas do not like the smell of this fruit so they should leave and look for some other place to infest instead.
Helpful Tips to Make the Job Easier
How do you get rid of fleas effectively? All the suggestions and the instructions mentioned above should work faster and more effectively if you keep these tips in mind:
- Religiously clean the areas where your cats and dogs spend most of the time.
- Regularly and thoroughly clean your carpet.
- Bathe your pets every day.
- Spray and clean your yard as often as you can.
Preventing the Fleas from Developing
After you’ve tried the how do you get rid of fleas remedy ideas in this article and you’re able to completely get rid of the insects, make sure that you avoid them from developing again. You should start your flea control efforts at the start of the flea season or even before it begins. Keep in mind that once your house gets infested, it can be very difficult to get rid of the annoying insects so find time to control them.
When to Call a Pest Control Company
How do you get rid of fleas that have already spread all over your house? Well, it might not be something that you can deal with on your own. It may be the best time for you to actually call for help from a professional cleaners. The pest control service providers have all the necessary equipment that help them deal with infestations and leave your home free from fleas.