Does your head itch and white flakes on your hair have become too embarrassing that you want to know how do you get rid of dandruff fast? Dandruff can be embarrassing and uncomfortable because of itching and while it’s not considered as a harmful problem, those with white flakes falling on their shirts do not take it lightly. You can get rid of this problem with the use of home remedies which you’ll learn about in this article.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
How do you get rid of dandruff? If you ask around this same question, one of the common answers you’ll get is dandruff shampoo. There are many different shampoo brands available in the market promising to help you get rid of those white, itchy flakes but it can be difficult to find one that really works. Most shampoos prove ineffective after some months of using them and frequent shampooing may be needed for you to see good results. If you feel like dandruff shampoos need some help for them to really show good results, there are natural or home remedies that you can also try like the most effective ones that are listed below.
- Baking soda. You might have been looking around for answers on your ‘how do you get rid of dandruff’ question without realizing that your kitchen holds the key to having a flake and itch-free scalp. Rub a handful of baking soda on wet hair and massage it vigorously into the scalp. Just skip shampooing then rinse your hair. What baking soda would do is reduce the overactive fungi in your scalp that is causing the white flakes to show up.
- Apple cider vinegar. The acidity of this common ingredient makes an effective dandruff treatment according to many studies as it changes the scalp’s pH level. How do you get rid of dandruff with apple cider vinegar? Just mix a quarter cup of this with water then place it in a spray bottle. Spritz this mixture on the scalp and get a towel to wrap your head. Allow the mixture to sit on your scap between 15 minutes and one hour before washing your hair as you normally do. Repeat this two times a week for best results.
- Tea tree oil. Many studies have shown that shampoos with only 5% of this oil as one of their ingredients prove to lessen the severity of dandruff. How do you get rid of dandruff with pure tea tree oil? Just add a few drops of this in your chosen shampoo then normally wash your hair.
- Eggs. Before washing your hair, take two fresh eggs and beat them. Afterwards, add 2 tbsp. of water to it and directly apply the mixture in your scalp massaging it gently for around 10 minutes. Rinse hair off with lukewarm water before washing it normally with your preferred shampoo.
- Coconut oil. Tried and tested, this dandruff treatment is currently used by thousands of people around the world not only for treating white flakes but also for keeping their hair healthy. To get rid of itchy flakes, massage around 3 to 5 tbsps. of coconut oil in your scalp before taking a bath and let it sit for around an hour. Afterwards, shampoo your hair normally.
- Lemon. How do you get rid of dandruff without needing to leave the house to buy some treatments? The remedy for your problem is just actually just inside your refrigerator. Massage your scalp with 2 tbsps. of lemon juice then wash it off later on with normal water. After washing with water, stir a teaspoon of lemon juice and mix it with a cup of water to use in rinsing your hair the second time. Repeat this everyday until you find that your dandruff is already gone.
- Salt. You should have salt readily available in your kitchen. The abrasiveness of ordinary salt is very effective in scrubbing dandruff flakes out prior to shampooing with your regular shampoo. Get a saltshaker and put some of its contents on your dry scalp then give your scalp a vigorous massage. After a few minutes, you will find that you’ve worked out the white, flaky, dry skin which means that you’re hair is ready for shampooing.
- Olive oil. This is a natural moisturizer which will seep deep into your dry scalp to condition it. The kind of olive oil that you use doesn’t matter so just pick the cheapest bottle at the local grocery store. How do you get rid of dandruff with this solution? Saturate your scalp and hair completely with olive oil then wrap your head with a clean towel. Put a shower cup above your head then leave the treatment on your hair overnight. Unwrap the towel and wash your hair thoroughly with warm water the next morning. Repeat this process as often as needed to have an itch-free and flake-free scalp.
Other Effective Remedies
Just in case you need more suggestions on how do you get rid of dandruff, the following are great ideas too:
- Aspirin. Containing salicylic acid which is also present in many medicated dandruff shampoos, you can keep flaking in check by crushing two or three uncoated aspirins in a small bowl to come up with a fine powder. Add it to your normal shampoo everytime you wash you hair and allow it to penetrate the scalp for 1 to 2 minutes before washing it well. Afterwards, wash your hair again with plain shampoo. Practice this several times a week and you should see amazing results.
- Mouthwash. How do you get rid of dandruff? Not only does this treat bad breath but also itchy, white flakes on your head. To use this, wash your hair first with your preferred shampoo then rinse it using an alcohol-based mouthwash. The anti fungal properties of this remedy helps prevent the growth of dandruff-causing yeast.
When to Consult Your Doctor
Your efforts on how do you get rid of dandruff would not show its effects until after a few weeks or so of following a hair care regimen. Note that dandruff cannot be totally eliminated within just a short span of time. In case the results of the natural and home remedies do not prove effective after around 3-4 weeks, it may be high time to schedule a visit to your doctor for consultation. While dandruff removal isn’t impossible, a particular solution that you choose may not work for you. You might have to try other solutions for treating dandruff and your doctor can help find that one treatment that suits you best.