‘How do I get rid of fleas from my pets?’. If this is the question you’re trying to get an answer to, you’ve landed on the right page. Read this article to know how to rid fleas from your dogs, cats and from your house.
Wingless parasites that feed on the blood of their host—these are fleas that affect many pets proving as a major frustration for pet owners. Most people do not know that their pets have fleas until they find their cats or dogs scratching. Since prolonged flea infestation can lead to huge blood loss on the body of your pets resulting to anemia, it is important that you act on fleas right away after you find them in your cats and dogs.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Fleas
How do I get rid of fleas without the help of a professional pest control service? Once you find them, you can already assume that there’s an infestation and you must do everything to get rid of them permanently in your house and in your pets. Here are a few natural ways that are known very effective:
- Give your pets a bath. First things first on how do I get rid of fleas, give your cats and dogs a bath. Use warm water but be careful when preparing it that it’s not too hot to cause skin burns. Put each pet in the water and properly wet its body from the neck downwards. Take a little pet shampoo in your hand and apply it all over the body of your cat or dog with special attention on the areas near the tail, neck and belly. Rub the pet’s body well to come up with some good lather. Wash the body off with clean water. If this simple process is done on a regular basis, this should effectively help get rid of the live fleas in your pets.
- Use a flea comb. This is a specially-designed comb with fine teeth that helps catch the eggs, larvae and adult fleas and you can buy this in the local pet stores. How do I get rid of fleas with this comb? Simply run this in different directions on the fur of your cat or dug to remove as much fleas as you can. Concentrate on the areas where fleas can hide like the inner part of the legs and the belly. Half of the entire population of the fleas in your pet’s hair will be caught in the comb while the rest will just fall off. After you’re done combing your pets, place the comb in a small bowl with water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid to avoid the fleas from flying out of the comb and around the house.
- Spray apple cider vinegar. The benefits of this common home ingredient cannot be denied that aside from helping treat skin conditions, apple cider vinegar can also prove effective in getting rid of fleas on cats and dogs. How do I get rid of fleas with this ingredient? Get a spray bottle and fill it with apple cider vinegar then spray it directly to the coat of your pet. Allow it to settle on the hair and on the skin of the pet for 5 minutes then wash it off. Repeat this same process several times a week and the fleas on your pets will gradually recede.
- Apply diatomaceous earth. This naturally occuring rock which is madeup of fossiled remains of diatoms or hard-shelled algae is known very effective in repelling fleas. This is harmless to pets and humans but is lethal to fleas because its incredibly sharp edges can slice through the waxy exoskeleton of the pets making the fleas die of dehydration. When applying this method on how do I get rid of fleas, it is important that you wear a mask and not put too much of it on your pet to avoid breathing it in.
- Sprinkle salt in carpets. Used as a common cooking ingredient, salt can be the answer to your search of ‘how do I get rid of fleas’ too. Salt acts as a dehydration agent making the bodies of fleas dry out. Fill up a spice bottle with any type of salt then sprinkle it over the carpets in every room in your house. Make sure that it covers the area evenly. Leave it on the capets for at least 12 hours then vacuum it thoroughly. This method of getting rid of fleas should help set your home free from the unwanted pests.
Some Flea Control Tips
Aside from following the natural ways on how do I get rid of fleas that are mentioned above, there are also other things that you should do to keep your house free from the unwanted pests.
- Keep your pets healthy. One of the best tips that you can get in your search for the answers on your question of ‘how do I get rid of fleas’ is make sure that your pets are healthy. Fleas do not often take up residence in healthy coats and skin but in animals with itchy, dry skin. Exercise them regularly and feed them high quality food containing whole meats and vegetables.
- Clean your house thoroughly. In order to keep your house free from fleas, find time to regularly wash the rugs, pet clothes, beddings and toys in hot water allowing them to dry on high heat. Also vacuum furniture and carpets on a regular basis to at least remove half if not 100% of the fleas. When you’re done vacuuming, make it a habit to throw the cleaner bags because flea eggs can survive in them. If you want to use the bags again, stick them in the freezer for hours before you reattach them on the vacuum cleaner.
Tips and Warnings
In case your home is severely infected that the methods above on how do I get rid of fleas don’t work, seek help from a professional pest control service. If you want to use a pesticide to kill fleas, seek advice from a pesticide consultant to get an idea on how to properly apply it on the pests. It’ very important to learn the proper way of applying it because if you don’t do it right, the pesticide can be harm